3.5 C
New York
Monday, February 6, 2023

Buy now

The Grambusch brothers star in Germany’s ‘crazy’ penalty shootout victory over England to enter World Cup semi-finals | Hockey news

BHUBANESWAR: Germany struck twice with two minutes remaining in the game to clear a two-goal deficit and then triumphed over England in the penalty shootout to make a dramatic entry into the FIH Men’s semi-finals World Cup here on Wednesday.
Captain Mats Grambusch and his younger brother Tom scored in the space of a minute after England led 2–0 until the 58th minute when Germany grabbed a victory from the jaws of defeat in an edge-of-the-seat quarter-final.
As it happened
Germany, which finished second in Pool B and defeated France 5-1 in the crossover game, will face title contenders Australia in the semi-finals on Friday.

The boisterous spectators at Kalinga Stadium thought England would finish the game in comfort after Zachary Wallace (12th) and Liam Ansell (33rd) gave them the 2-0 lead.
But to their surprise, the Germans came roaring back to score goals in the 58th and 59th minutes through Mats and Tom Grambusch respectively.
Just before that, Christopher Ruhr had lost a chance from the penalty shot in the 57th minute.
Trailing 1–2, Germany was penalized with one minute left in the game. Mats then asked his younger brother Tom to take it and he made no mistake from the spot to take the game to the penalty shootout.
Niklas Wellen, Hannes Muller, Prinz Thies and Christopher Ruhr scored for Germany in the shootout. For England, James Albery, Zachary Wallace and Phil Roper scored, while David Goodfield missed.
“It was a crazy game for sure, we were behind for most of the game. But we were able to convert the chances that came our way late in the game. It shows the character of the team,” said Matt.
“Our parents should be watching this game and they should be very happy to see that we both scored in a crucial game for the team and the country,” said Tom.
The German brawl is reminiscent of their national football team, which is known for its never-say-that attitude.
“It’s a brutal game, you were 2-0 up with less than five minutes left in the game and you lost the game,” said England captain David Ames.
England had immediately reached the quarter-finals after beating India at the top of Group D.
They started as the more attacking side and took the lead in the 12th minute through a fine combination between Jack Waller, Stuart Rushemere and Zachary Wallace.
Waller cut into the batting circle from the right and Rushemere swerved around three German defenders before Wallace slammed in with a tennis-like volley.
Wallace later tried again at the German goal, but his shot, after dodging past a defender in the second quarter, was blocked by the goalkeeper.
Germany pressed in the second quarter with many more players up front, but England defended well with man-to-man marking. But the relentless German attack resulted in the first penalty corner of the game being wasted.
The Englishman gave the Germans no room as they entered the battle circle. But Harry Martin was given space and time to shoot, but the goalkeeper was again caught in the middle of things when he blocked Germany’s second penalty corner two minutes before the break.
Trailing 0–1 at half-time, Germany let themselves down when Timur Oruz was shown a green card for a two-minute suspension in the 31st minute. second.
Liam Ansell made a soft touch of the ball after the stopper put it in his path and then sent in a powerful shot that already landed Germany goalkeeper Alexander Stadler.
Germany were under enormous pressure in the third quarter when Christopher Ruhr was shown the yellow card in the 38th minute for a five-minute suspension.
Just before the end of the third quarter, play was halted after England’s Liam Sanford fell to the turf and a few of his teammates surrounded Ruhr, but the umpires managed to calm the players down.
Germany were awarded a penalty stroke in the 57th minute, but Christopher Ruhr’s shot hit the crossbar. But a minute later, captain Mats Grambusch pulled one back with a field goal.
The game ended in dramatic fashion at 2-2, as Mats’ brother Tom scored from the penalty shot just a few seconds later.
With 38 seconds remaining in regulation time, Germany earned a penalty corner, but England defended it in tense circumstances.

Source link

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected


Latest Articles