6 C
New York
Friday, December 9, 2022

Buy now

How a deadly crush unfolded at a football match in Indonesia | Football news

At least 174 people were killed and about 180 injured at a football match in Indonesia after fans were panicked and crushed as they tried to flee during a riot, authorities said on Sunday.
A timeline of one of the worst tragedies in sports history:
– Saturday at 8 p.m. local time a match between Arema FC and Persebaya Surabaya starts at the Kanjuruhan Stadium, Malang in East Java, Indonesia.
– Shortly before 10 p.m., the game ends when the home team Arema loses 3-2 to Persebaya Surabaya. After the referee has given the final whistle, angry supporters of the home team storm the field.


In photos: More than 150 people killed after stampede at football game

Show captions

More than 150 people were killed and about 180 injured at a football match in Indonesia after a massive stampede during a riot, police said, in what appears to be one of the world’s worst stadium disasters. (AP photo)

– Video footage taken by a Reuters witness shows fans on the pitch clashing with police. Police fired tear gas in an attempt to bring the situation under control, causing panicked fans to rush out through an exit gate, starting a fire. rush and cases of suffocation, East Java Police Chief Nico Afinta tells reporters.
– The police chief says there is a crush on gate 10 in the stadium. Screams can be heard at the exit gate as fans try to flee with women and children among those caught, according to an account on Twitter posted by a fan.

– Video images on local channels show fans being carried out of the stadium unconscious. Outside the stadium, supporters and police were involved in more clashes, with videos and photos circulating on social media of burnt police cars.
– The country’s chief security minister, Mahfud MD, said in an Instagram post that the stadium exceeded its capacity. He says 42,000 tickets had been issued for a stadium that could only accommodate 38,000 people.

– On Sunday morning, President Joko Widodo in a video address ordered the Football Association to suspend all matches in the country’s premier league, BRI Liga 1, until an investigation into match safety is completed.
(* Compiled from local news, video footage, police statements and witness testimony on Twitter)

Source link

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected


Latest Articles