The team, which includes government officials, football and security experts, has investigated how more than 130 people died in an instant after a game in Kanjuruhan Stadium in East Java on October 1
Coordinating Security Minister Mahfud MD said a separate team is still investigating the toxicity of the gas used, but whatever the outcome, it “cannot diminish the conclusion that the mass (number of) deaths were mainly caused by tear gas”.
Indonesian authorities and the Indonesian Football Association (PSSI) have been increasingly questioned and criticized as to why police fired tear gas into the stadium, a crowd control measure banned by FIFA, the world football association.
The investigation team found that police officers on duty were not aware of the tear gas ban at football matches. The tear gas had been fired “indiscriminately” and the officers had taken “excessive” measures, it said.
Police have tried to downplay their role in the tragedy, stressing that narrow doors in the overcapacity stadium exacerbated the crush.
Police and military are investigating dozens of their officers in connection with the incident.
The investigators concluded that the PSSI had been negligent in ignoring the regulations and called for the resignation of the chairman and executive committee.
It added that match organizer PT Liga Indonesia Baru had also been negligent.
Mahfud said the findings, detailed in a 124-page list of recommendations, had been handed to the president.
Earlier this week, the PSSI announced that it had formed a joint task force with FIFA to improve crowd control and security measures. The rare intervention from the sport’s governing body comes as Indonesia will host the FIFA Under-20 World Cup next year.