10.5 C
New York
Saturday, January 28, 2023

Buy now

MCD Polls 2022: Delhi votes on December 4, results on December 7; My Client Center effective today

Elections for the Municipal Corporation of Delhi, or MCD, will be held on December 4, the state election commission announced on Friday. State Election Commissioner Vijay Dev said the model code of conduct will come into effect from today. The results of the poll will be released on December 7, he added.

Dev said the MCD elections will be announced on Nov. 7, while the last date to submit nominations is Nov. 14. The screening of the nominations will take place on November 16 and candidates can withdraw from the election contest until November 19.

The polls were scheduled to be held in April but were canceled hours before the schedule was announced, as the central government wanted to conduct a demarcation exercise by unifying the three public bodies and reducing the number of departments. According to the Interior Ministry notification, a total of 250 districts will be voted on, he said.

In a press conference held before announcing the dates, the Delhi SEC said the current term of the municipal body expired in May, but elections could not be held due to the demarcation exercise and the unification of three civil society bodies into one.

“MCD’s term expired in May, but we couldn’t hold the elections because of unification. Now we are in a situation where we are prepared for MCD elections. The polling stations have been redrawn and we are prepared for 250 wards in Delhi. The MCD has jurisdiction in 68 constituencies. In total, 42 seats are reserved for SCs (Scheduled Caste),” said state election commissioner Vijay Dev.

Dev added, “Of those 42 seats for SCs, 21 will be for SC women, while a total of 104 seats will be reserved for women.”

Here’s everything you need to know about the MCD polls:

  1. The center united the three municipal corporations of the national capital under the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) and reduced the total number of wards from 272 to 250. According to the 2011 census, 42 seats will be reserved for Scheduled Castes, 21 of which will be for SC women, said SEC Vijay Dev. He added that a total of 104 seats will be reserved for women.
  2. The poll will take place on December 4, while the vote counting will take place on December 7. Dev said the MCD elections will be announced on Nov. 7, while the last date to submit nominations is Nov. 14. The screening of the nominations will take place on November 16 and candidates can withdraw from the election contest until November 19.
  3. Dev said there were a total of 1.46 crore voters in Delhi. Polling stations now stood at 13,665, he added. The MCD elections will be held on electronic voting machines. There are a total of 68 returnees, while the Model Code of Conduct is in effect as of today. The state election commissioner further said that the spending limit for wards is Rs 8 lakh, and a ‘Nigam Chunav Delhi’ app will be launched to file complaints and know all the details related to the polls.
  4. The BJP, which has been running civilian bodies since 2007, is up against a resurgent Aam Aadmi party and congress. The big old party has even approached the Supreme Court saying it opposes holding the election because it believes the demarcation did not reflect equal representation and population of departments. However, the court has not yet postponed the polls.
  5. As for the Delhi BJP, it has hinted that departing councilors in at least 60 to 70 percent of districts are not being repeated. There were reports that the saffron party will replace all of its incumbent councilors with new faces, but the party said these were “technically incorrect”.
  6. A senior BJP leader said no more than 30 percent incumbent councilors will be given the chance to be repeated this time, even if the party decides to do so. “With various factors such as reduced number of wards, rotation of reserved seats for women and SC candidates and demarcation, nearly 60-70 percent sitting councilors will effectively lose the claim to party card,” the senior leader added.
  7. The BJP leader said there were several reasons why the party was looking for new faces – mainly divisional rotation which has seen seats previously reserved for women or SC now become common. Conversely, many general departments have become reserved. The demarcation has also impacted ward voter composition, necessitating candidate changes, the leader said. The BJP said two surveys – one by the central leadership and the other by the unit in Delhi – were being conducted for effective selection of candidates for the MCD polls.
  8. The congress has since received more than 1,000 requests from ticket seekers. The party will streamline its candidate selection process in successive meetings on Saturday and Sunday, said Anil Kumar, head of unit in Delhi. He said his party was ready for the polls and there was enthusiasm among workers to fight for the party symbol. Applications have been received until October 31.
  9. The ruling AAP is also conducting a survey to find suitable candidates with winning potential, party sources said.
  10. In 2017 polls, the BJP had won 181 out of 270 wards. Due to the death of candidates, two seats could not be voted on. The AAP had won 48 divisions, while Congress won 27 divisions.

(with PTI inputs)

Read all Latest political news here

Source link

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

0FansLike
3,681FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Latest Articles